Paint for Hire
One of the benefits of practicing a craft over a long time is getting to the point where you can do anything you can imagine. At which point, your challenge is in the imagining. You need to cultivate and protect your imagination - plenty of alone time, reduced exposure to idiotic time-wasters, and (for my work) limited contamination from the popular culture.
Another thing that happens when you get to this point is that people want to hire you to execute their visions. It's possible to make a full-time career out of other people's visions. I usually say "no thanks" to these requests. Not that I'm against the idea of making money, but I hate taking time away from my own work. Still the requests keep coming . . .
And every once in a while the stars align just so: I'm between projects and someone offers a simple, yet interesting, job that pays well. I just finished one of those - painting some little objects that will probably end up in a gallery and/or museum near you, attached to someone else's name, natch.
And now, I get back to my next great project, which is in the exciting and very satisfying early stages . . . stay tuned.
Comments