Emerging

A few days ago I came across this snow flower (Sarcodes Sanguinea) in the woods near Donner Lake. They emerge in late spring, and grow without chlorophyll, instead tapping into an underground network of water, sugar and carbon transfer.  

I felt like this was the perfect visual image for this past year. Many of us are emerging from the pandemic, or thinking about it, with reservations. Having been a very social person prior to lockdown, I had a hard time adjusting to solo life. I think the only thing that kept me sane was the almost constant change of scenery inherent in van life. 

But then something shifted a few months ago. And the prospects of returning to my old way of life no longer appealed to me.  It was hard to articulate, even to myself. 

Luckily, Tim Kreider is a word person, and he has articulated it beautifully in his recent Atlantic magazine article called, “I’m Not Scared to Reenter Society. I’m Just Not Sure I Want To.” 

Give it a look if you’re feeling the same way, or curious about those who do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vanniversary

Break On Through to the Other Side

Temporary Respite