Walk from LA to Mexico City?
Today I had one of those electrifying experiences that happens when you encounter great art. All the better - it was completely unexpected. Dave & I were walking back to our hotel after a day out wandering around downtown when we walked past the Pico House.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pico_House
The gallery was open, so we dropped in. I walked straight over to the walls and started looking at the black & white photography, not knowing anything about the who/what/when/where. I was immediately sucked into another time & place and began feeling very emotional. Almost nostalgic, with a crazy kind of longing for people & places I've never been.
Sixty photos later, I popped back to the present and read about the photographer, William "Red Dog" Tynan, who shot these images on an epic 2,500 mile hike from Los Angeles to Mexico City with his friend Bill Bates.
http://tolucantimes.info/inside-this-issue/why-would-you-walk-from-los-angeles-to-mexico-city-in-1958/
Then I turn around and he was standing in the gallery! Dave & I had a great talk with him and he is as warm and genuine as you'd expect from someone who took these extraordinary photos. I really wish I could point you to a web site or book where you could see these photos, but right now the only place you or anyone else can see them is at the Pico House, 424 Main Street, El Pueblo de Los Angeles, between now and June 23rd. And William told us that he will be there at the gallery every day, because "someone has to get my assistant some lunch."
Luckily, someone else realizes that this work and Will's story needs to get out there. Xochi Blymyer and Regina Ainsworth are making a documentary film about it all.
http://www.reddogandbates.com/home.html
All of these photos were nearly lost in a devastating fire at William's home. In fact, the negatives were lost and the prints were singed & fire-damaged. William told us that he pulled the wet prints out of the ruins and spread them on the concrete driveway to dry. Then he took them to Samy's Camera, where a dedicated technician scanned the damaged prints, retouched them, and then digitally reprinted them. I had to go back and look again - amazing, incredible job.
http://www.samys.com/
But seriously - if you can make it here in the next week - you really should come see these (and the artist) now.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
Location:N Main St,Los Angeles,United States
Comments